And easy-to-make spicy and herbed seasoned air-fried chicken breast with beets, carrots, sweet potato, and onion served with a shaved brussel sprout salad with almonds and cranberries in a honey dijon vinaigrette on brown basmati rice and drizzled with a tahini garlic dressing, making a delicious Chicken Rice Bowl.
Textures and Taste!
Let's go on a culinary journey with this Best Air Fryer Honey Dijon Mustard Chicken Rice Bowl, a tantalizing dish that effortlessly combines savory and sweet notes to create a combination of flavors on your plate.
Picture this: succulent air-fried chicken with a perfect crisp, generously coated in a luscious honey Dijon mustard glaze. Paired with fluffy rice, caramelized root vegetables, and a shaved crispy Brussels sprouts salad, this bowl is a celebration of textures and tastes.
Minimal Effort in Nutrition
The easy recipe requires simple ingredients, making it the best way to elevate your weeknight dinner with minimal effort. What sets this dish apart is not just its deliciousness but also its wholesome nature. Drizzled with a healthy tahini dressing, it adds a nutritious twist to your meal.
As the seasons transition, this recipe is especially perfect for capturing the essence of the time of year, bringing warmth and comfort to your table with every bite. It's time to redefine your dinner routine with this delectable and nourishing creation! So, let's get started.
Try these other quick recipes:
- Healthy Poached Egg Avocado Rainbow Tuna Salad
- Baked Cajun Honey Mustard Salmon Cauliflower Steaks & Potatoes
- Air Fryer Roasted Harissa Salmon with Paprika Potatoes and Brussels Sprouts
- Quick 5 Vegetable Medley
- Air Fryer Chicken Breast with Hot Honey Glazed Vegetables
Make the Base
First, prepare the brown basmati rice. Then, make the dressing by combining the honey, whole-grain Dijon mustard, ground black pepper, and kosher salt to make the honey mustard base.
Make the Salad
Next, divide the base into two bowls and add apple cider vinegar, fresh lemon juice, and avocado oil to make the vinaigrette. Toss in the Brussels sprouts, sliced almonds, and dried cranberries in the dressing, and place in the fridge to chill.
Make the Dressing
Next, prepare the Tahini Lemon Garlic dressing by combining garlic cloves, parsley leaves, water, tahini paste, some honey mustard base, and oil in the food processor or by whisking them together.
Make the Chicken and Vegetables
Finally, prepare the chicken and vegetables by making a wet rub of some of the honey mustard base, Cajun Seasoning, Italian herb seasoning, boneless skinless chicken breasts, sweet potatoes, red bell peppers, beets, and yellow onions. Then, layer in and cook the vegetables in the air fryer. And later, add and cook the chicken on top.
See the chicken and vegetable Brussels sprout salad recipe card for quantities.
Vegetables for Roasting 👇
Need Help Prepping Chicken?
Follow the instructions and cooking tips below using the step-by-step picture guide.
Whisk together the honey and whole-grain Dijon mustard with salt and pepper for a texture-pleasing honey mustard base.
When making the salad dressing, add the oil in slowly to promote emulsification while whisking. The whisking helps break down the liquid into smaller molecules to blend with the oil.
This rice bowl includes hot and cold components; place the salad in the fridge to chill for a nice crisp texture. Watch here on how to shave Brussels sprouts.
Using a food processor also helps to emulsify ingredients, creating a smooth and creamy dressing.
The wet rub, which includes oil and spices, helps adhere the seasoning to the ingredients while coating them in oil to brown nicely in the air fryer. Ensure the chicken is dried with a paper towel before adding it to the wet rub.
Ensure you mix the vegetables and chicken in a large enough bowl.
All pieces of the chicken should be evenly coated in the wet rub.
Next, place the seasoned butterflied chicken on the side and cook the vegetables first.
To plate up, place the rice, vegetables, chicken, and salad into quarters in the bowl for a pleasing visual before drizzling on the tahini dressing.
Busy Folks - Become a better home cook with cooking tips to help you cook more efficiently on Cook's Notebook tab. In addition, some related detailed steps can be found there. Why use avocado oil in the air fryer? Learn more.
- Brown Basmati Rice - Change it up by using wild rice for a great texture with a crunch.
- Honey - Try pure maple syrup.
- Shaved Brussels Sprouts - Use a cabbage slaw mix if you can't find the shaved Brussels sprout salad mix.
- Dried Cranberries - Try dried cherries.
- Tahini Paste - Tahini paste is made from crushed sesame seeds, giving dishes that nutty flavor. Use cashew or almond butter.
- Chicken Breast - Use chicken thighs.
Change Heat Level - Modify the recipe's heat level to your liking and learn more about the Scoville Scale and Chili Pairings.
- Sauteed Brussels Sprouts - Don't like raw shaved brussel sprouts, quarter and saute them instead, then toss them in the dressing along with the dried cranberries and almonds. You can also roast them. For quicker cooking, try air fryer Brussels sprouts; just make sure to toss them in oil and season them with salt and pepper.
- Pork Chops - Instead of chicken, use boneless pork chops.
- Oven - Don't have an air fryer? Try the oven using a baking sheet tray. Layer the chicken and vegetables on a sheet pan with parchment paper and roast at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 18 to 25 minutes for a delicious combination of roasted vegetables and chicken.
- Roasted Butternut Squash - Take advantage of adding this beloved squash favorite in the fall and winter.
- More Crunch - Add sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, or pomegranate seeds.
- Whisk - Used to combine the honey mustard base, vinaigrette, wet rub, and tahini dressing if not using a food process. Get the Walfos Silicone Whisk Set that comes in 3 sizes, perfect for nonstick containers. I actually own the Silicone Whisk set, Walfos 11'' Flat Whisk and 10'' Balloon Whisk, which is great for stirring in nonstick pots.
- Mixing Bowls - You'll need two bowls since you will use the honey mustard base in multiple ways. Try the Umite Chef Mixing Bowls with Airtight Lids, 6 piece Stainless Steel Metal Nesting Storage Bowls, Non-Slip Bottoms set and never run out of bowls.
- Air Fryer - To cook the chicken and vegetables. I developed this recipe using the Ninja Foodi 5-in-1 Indoor Electric Grill with Air Fry, Roast, Bake & Dehydrate, a great air fryer with a 6-quart roasting pan.
- Cutting Board - Used to allow the chicken to rest before cutting it. Always let the chicken rest to keep it moist. Try the best seller ROYAL CRAFT WOOD Cutting Boards for Kitchen - Bamboo Cutting Board Set of 3.
Kitchen Must Haves - Find other tools I use here.
- Refrigerator - To store in the fridge, you can place the chicken, vegetables, and rice in a shallow 2-inch container to cool down quickly. Then, store it with the salad and dressing in airtight containers. As a result, the meal will last up to three days.
- Freezer - Follow the refrigeration process mentioned above. Then, place only the chicken, vegetables, and rice in the freezer in a labeled, airtight container.
Air Tight Food Containers - I use Glass Food Storage Containers with a plastic clipping lid to store food. For example, I always suggest glass storage containers since you can microwave them and hold food without staining the container, and the glass keeps them at a more stable temperature, which keeps the food fresher longer.
- Mason Jar - Use mason jars as an alternative quick way to make dressings, just by shaking the ingredients together instead of whisking or blending.
- Hearty Winter Salad - Balance your meals and enjoy this healthy Brussels sprouts salad at the end of the year when festivities are abundant with so many feasting opportunities await you.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, you can eat Brussels sprouts raw. While they are commonly cooked by methods such as roasting, sautéing, or steaming, Brussels sprouts can also be enjoyed raw in salads or as a crunchy snack.
Raw Brussels sprouts have a mild, slightly peppery flavor and a crisp texture, great for fall and winter dishes. To make them more palatable, you can shred, shave, or thinly slice them and toss them with other fresh ingredients, such as fruits, nuts, or a flavorful dressing, to create a delicious and nutritious raw dish.
Keep in mind that some people find the taste of raw Brussels sprouts to be milder than when cooked (such as roasted), making them a versatile addition to both cooked and raw food preparations.
Looking for other bowl recipes like this? Try these:
Air Fryer Recipes
Looking for other air fryer recipes like this? Try these:
SUBSCRIBE: 👈To my YouTube Channel to Get Notifications of New Videos.
- Cook chicken to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C).
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food that previously touched raw meat to prevent foodborne illness from contaminated uncooked meats.
- Wash hands after touching raw meat to prevent cross-contamination.
- Don't leave food at room temperature for extended periods; this can breed bacteria.
- Never leave cooking food unattended to prevent burns and fires.
- Use oils with a high smoke point to avoid harmful compounds.
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning.
Have a Comment or Question?
If you have a question or comment about this recipe, please post it below. You will definitely get a quick response. It also helps our other readers to stay informed. Thanks!