Onions, bell peppers, jalapenos, tomatoes, and chickpeas are simmered to create a delectable spicy poached egg masala skillet with a twist and topped with creamy ripe avocado slices and fresh cilantro.
If you haven't noticed, this egg masala dish is inspired by the Shakshuoka dish, where eggs are poached in a harissa, spicy pepper paste sauce and served with bread. I also have a similar recipe.
Check out my Harissa Egg Toast with Feta Cheese and Olive Oil post. It's so delicious and a quick way to make a great breakfast. I love this method so much that I have started to use it to make most of my breakfasts.
This chickpeas and egg masala dish is packed with protein and a great way to start the day! For instance, you have chickpeas, eggs, and yogurt in one meal and plenty to go around. And there's nothing like runny yolk on a crispy piece of bread. You have to try this out!
If you love curries, I suggest you try my Roasted Chicken Chickpeas and Vegetable Curry and Curry Lentil Turkey Stew recipes. In addition, you must try the viral Piquant Chorizo Beans and Eggs Skillet.
But if you are looking for more egg recipes, try the Healthy Poached Egg Avocado Rainbow Tuna Salad, filled with crunchy vegetables in a savory tangy sauce.
Ingredients and Instructions
To begin with, I recommend you pull out the Greek yogurt and have it sit at room temperature. You will be adding it to a hot dish, and tempering it will prevent curdling from the drastic temperature change.
I also have tips below on the recipe card to get you started. Then, saute the onions, bell peppers, jalapenos, and garlic in avocado oil. However, you can use olive oil as well, whichever you prefer.
Depending on your heat level preference, you can keep or discard the seeds and pith for the jalapenos. For example, the heat is contained in the pith, the white flesh of the pepper. Then, you'll add the chopped tomatoes for acidity and richness.
Afterward, add the tikka masala paste and brown sugar to cook with the vegetables and stir well. Then, the yogurt will be mixed with cornstarch and a spoonful of hot sauteed vegetables to increase its stability.
Add the chickpeas, season with salt and pepper, mix well, and make holes for the eggs. Then, cover and simmer until the eggs are poached. Finally, serve with sliced avocado, fresh cilantro, crispy bread, flatbread, naan, or basmati rice.
See the egg masala skillet recipe card for quantities.
Busy Folks - Become a better home cook with cooking tips to help you cook more efficiently on Cook's Notebook tab. In addition, some related detailed steps can be found there.
Serving Sides Suggestions
- Naan or toasted Ciabatta Bread
- Cooked basmati white or brown rice
- Plain Greek Yogurt - You can use coconut milk instead of plain Greek yogurt for this egg masala recipe. Additionally, if you use coconut milk, use a ¼ cup. For one thing, I like the yogurt's tartness and the eggs' creaminess, making this a great combination.
- Again, if you add coconut milk instead of yogurt, it will not be as tart, and the flavor will still be spicy but with a more buttery, mellow background.
Change Heat Level - Modify the egg masala skillet recipe's heat level to your liking and learn more about the Scoville Scale and Chili Pairings.
Medium Saute Pan - Used for making the chickpeas and egg masala recipe. Because it's wide enough to saute and deep enough to simmer the vegetables and poach the eggs like the All-Clad HA1 Hard Anodized Nonstick Sauté Pan with Lid.
Kitchen Must Haves - Find other tools I use here.
- Refrigerator - To store in the fridge, you can place the egg masala dish in a shallow 2-inch container to cool down quickly. Then, store in an air-tight sealing container. The meal will last up to two days.
- Freezer - I do not recommend freezing this recipe; reheating the egg masala dish may overcook the eggs. However, follow the refrigeration process mentioned above. Then, you can place it in the freezer in a labeled, airtight container.
Air Tight Food Containers - I use Glass Food Storage Containers with a plastic clipping lid to store food. For example, I always suggest glass storage containers since you can microwave them and hold food without staining the container, and the glass keeps them at a more stable temperature, which keeps the food fresher longer.
- Allow the eggs to simmer and not boil for four minutes without being disturbed for the perfect poached eggs.
- For the tikka masala paste, I used and recommend Patak's Tikka Masala Medium Curry Paste or the highly rated Kevin's Natural Foods Tikka Masala Sauce. Patak's version is thicker, not a sauce. You'll use a couple of tablespoons of this for the dish. It will also give it that stewed-for-hours taste.
Frequently Asked Questions
Tikka means something like "spicy pieces" in Hindi, and masala is for a group of spices in curries. For example, the most popular dish in this category is Chicken tikka masala, with chicken pieces with masala spices, coconut cream, and tomato paste.
Interestingly, this dish may have been developed in the UK by Indian expats and migrants, possibly resembling butter chicken, a dish from Northern India.
Alternatively, butter chicken was created using fresh tomatoes and leftover tandoori chicken pieces with butter in the 1950s by two Punjabi Hindus from Peshawar, Kundan Lal Jaggi and Kundan Lal Gujral.
Both were New Dehli chefs and restauranteurs.
Looking for other Indian-inspired recipes like this? Try these:
Looking for other vegetarian recipes like this? Try these:
Don’t Forget to Like, Subscribe and Share!
- Cook chicken to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C).
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food that previously touched raw meat to prevent foodborne illness from contaminated uncooked meats.
- Wash hands after touching raw meat to prevent cross-contamination.
- Don't leave food at room temperature for extended periods; this can breed bacteria.
- Never leave cooking food unattended to prevent burns and fires.
- Use oils with a high smoke point to avoid harmful compounds.
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning.
Have a Comment or Question?
If you have a question or comment about this egg masala skillet recipe, please post it below. You will definitely get a quick response. It also helps our other readers to stay informed. Thanks!