A one-pan meal of quickly marinated boneless skinless chicken thighs in a lemony Calabrian pepper yogurt marinade served with baked brussel sprouts, red bell pepper, baby potatoes, and carrots, then served with a spicy lemon honey yogurt sauce for a delicious yogurt-baked chicken and vegetables meal.
Great Flavors with Every Bite!
Try this tantalizing Calabrian Pepper and Lemon Yogurt Baked Chicken and Vegetables – a dish that promises great flavor with every bite! Infused with the bold kick of Calabrian chilies and the citrusy zing of lemon, this recipe strikes the perfect balance between spice and zest.
Upgrade your meal prep game by marinating succulent chicken and a medley of colorful vegetables in a luscious yogurt blend, ensuring a burst of mouthwatering goodness in every forkful.
Perfect for those seeking a convenient yet gourmet meal option, this baked dish not only delights the foodie in you but also makes meal prep a breeze. Savor the exquisite flavors and make your dinner routine effortlessly delicious!
Here are other spicy foods to add to your repertoire:
- Roasted Calabrian Pepper Spatchcocked Chicken and Vegetables
- Chickpeas and Egg Masala Skillet
- Zhug Feta Hummus Chicken Wrap
- Loaded Plantain Fries with Crispy Air Fryer chicken Thighs and Spicy Slaw
- Easy Spicy Calabrian pepper Tomato Chicken Chowder
Make the Wet Rub
First, you will make the wet rub by combining the garlic powder, onion powder, turmeric powder, Italian herb seasoning, kosher salt, ground black pepper, and olive oil. Then, set aside half of the wet rub in another bowl. This eliminates repeating recipe steps. Next, prepare the chicken and yogurt sauce.
Marinate the Yogurt Base
Take boneless skinless chicken thighs and create slits for fast marination. Then, make the yogurt sauce base by combining Greek yogurt, fresh lemon juice, and zest with the remaining wet rub. This will be the base used to make the marinade and lemon yogurt sauce.
Make the Sauce and Marinade
Next, add half of this sauce base, add the honey, combine well, and place in the fridge to chill. The remaining sauce base will be for the marinade by adding the crushed Calabrian peppers and chicken thighs, combining them well, and setting them aside to marinate.
Season the Vegetables
While the chicken marinates and the lemon honey yogurt sauce chills. Then, prepare the Brussels sprouts, carrots, potatoes, and red bell peppers, place them in the bowl with the remaining wet rub, and combine them well.
Finally, layer the vegetables in the baking dish, place the chicken on top, cover with aluminum, and bake. Remove the foil to brown the chicken in the last couple of minutes.
See the yogurt-baked chicken recipe for quantities.
Follow the instructions and cooking tips below using the step-by-step tutorial picture guide.
Prep the Chicken
For fast marination, make 2 to 3 slits on the chicken thighs.
To make the slits, do it on a diagonal with a sharp knife to cover more surface.
Make the Wet Rub
Make the wet rub in a bowl by combining the spices with salt, pepper, and oil.
Some of this wet rub will be reserved in another bowl to mix with the vegetables later.
Make the Yogurt Sauce
Add Greek yogurt, lemon juice, and zest to the remaining wet rub to make the yogurt sauce base.
Take some of this yogurt sauce base, add honey, combine well, and refrigerate. This will be the creamy sauce that's added when plating up.
Prepare the Chicken and Vegetables
Add the Calabrian chili peppers to the rest of the yogurt sauce base. Then combine with the chicken thighs and set aside to marinate.
Then, add the prepared vegetables to the bowl with the wet rub that was set aside.
In a baking dish, grease the bottom of your dish if necessary, then add the seasoned mixed vegetables and the chicken on top in an even layer.
Cover the dish with foil to bake and steam the vegetables and chicken.
Then remove the foil and place the chicken back to brown the chicken.
The chicken should have a slight golden brown color with tender vegetables and an internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
Busy Folks - Become a better home cook with cooking tips to help you cook more efficiently on Cook's Notebook tab. In addition, some related detailed steps can be found there.
Side Dish Suggestion
For a complete meal, serve with your favorite rice and a side salad.
- Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, Italian Herb Seasoning - Replace this with an all-purpose poultry seasoning blend. Just be aware of the additional salt content and adjust accordingly.
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs - Keep the skin and use boneless chicken thighs or butterflied chicken breast.
- Greek Plain Yogurt - Try sour cream; however, I have not tested this. You can also try plant-based yogurts like coconut yogurt for baking. In addition, be aware that Greek yogurt tends to have less sugar and is much thicker than regular plain yogurt.
- Crushed Calabrian Peppers - This pepper adds a unique flavor; however, you can use red pepper chili flakes if you do not have this pepper.
Change Heat Level - Modify the recipe's heat level to your liking and learn more about the Scoville Scale and Chili Pairings.
- Spatchcock Roast Chicken and Vegetables - Use a whole chicken with the backbone removed. Learn More. Place the Greek yogurt marinade under and over the skin. On a sheet pan, surround the chicken with the seasoned vegetables.
- On the Grill - Use an indoor grill pan to cook the chicken while the vegetables cook in the oven or an air fryer. The Ninja Foodi 5-in-1 Indoor Electric Grill with Air Fry does this job and might cut down the cooking time. Catch me using this air fryer in some of my recipe videos. Or use an outdoor grill.
- Mixing Bowls - You will use two mixing bowls; one must be wide enough to toss the vegetables.
- Cutting Board - Used to prepare the chicken.
- Sharp Knife - To make slits in the chicken thigh and to remove any excess fat.
- Oven - Used to bake the chicken.
- Baking Dish - Wide enough to hold the chicken and vegetables, at least a 3-quart baking dish. I developed this recipe using the Pyrex Easy Grab 3-Quart Extra Large Glass Baking Dish.
Kitchen Must Haves - Find other tools I use here.
- Refrigerator - To store in the fridge, you can place the chicken and vegetables in a shallow 2-inch container to cool down quickly. Then, store it and the sauce in airtight containers. As a result, the meal will last up to two to three days.
- Freezer - Follow the refrigeration process mentioned above. Then, place it in the freezer in a labeled, airtight container.
Air Tight Food Containers - I use Glass Food Storage Containers with a plastic clipping lid to store food. For example, I always suggest glass storage containers since you can microwave them and hold food without staining the container, and the glass keeps them at a more stable temperature, which keeps the food fresher longer.
- Aromatic Sauce Boost - The lemon zest is an important ingredient to help boost the tangy flavor and aroma of the yogurt sauce.
- For More Flavor - For a tender and flavorful yogurt-baked chicken, marinate the poultry in a mixture of yogurt, garlic, and your favorite herbs for at least 30 minutes before roasting to infuse it with a delightful richness and succulence.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, you can use Greek yogurt, regular yogurt, or even plant-based yogurt alternatives. Greek yogurt tends to be thicker and imparts a creamier texture, while the choice of regular or plant-based yogurt depends on dietary preferences. Check the substitution section for more details.
For optimal flavor and tenderness, marinating the chicken for at least 30 minutes is recommended. However, if time allows, letting it marinate for a few hours or even overnight in the refrigerator can enhance the depth of flavor. For this recipe, you will create slits in the chicken to help it absorb the marinade faster.
It's preferable to use thawed chicken for better marination and even cooking. If using frozen chicken, make sure to thaw it thoroughly in the refrigerator before marinating to ensure the yogurt mixture penetrates the meat evenly, resulting in a more delicious and well-cooked dish. In addition, you will want to remove the excess water from the chicken before adding it to the yogurt marinate to prevent flavor dilution.
One Pot Meal Recipes
Looking for other one-pot meal recipes like this? Try these:
Looking for other poultry recipes like this? Try these:
SUBSCRIBE: 👈To my YouTube Channel to Get Notifications of New Videos.
- Cook chicken to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C).
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food that previously touched raw meat to prevent foodborne illness from contaminated uncooked meats.
- Wash hands after touching raw meat to prevent cross-contamination.
- Don't leave food at room temperature for extended periods; this can breed bacteria.
- Never leave cooking food unattended to prevent burns and fires.
- Use oils with a high smoke point to avoid harmful compounds.
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning.
Have a Comment or Question?
If you have a question or comment about this recipe, please post it below. You will definitely get a quick response. It also helps our other readers to stay informed. Thanks!