Air fryer spiced chicken breast with spicy chunky feta zhug hummus on a bed of fresh baby spinach, vine-ripped tomatoes, sweet shallots, and cucumber for a satisfying hummus chicken wrap.
Quick and Easy Hummus Wrap Recipe
I took some of my leftover Zhug Feta Hummus and made some chicken wraps! In addition, this recipe uses my quick spicy zhug sauce, aka zhoug, a Middle Eastern-inspired green paste consisting of cilantro, parsley, jalapenos, chili pepper flakes, garlic, lemon, cumin, coriander, cardamom, and black pepper.
Looking for more wraps? Then try the Turkey Meatball Wraps made with Mouthwatering Air Fryer Lemon Pepper Pine Nuts Turkey Meatballs. How about a pita sandwich? Check out my Spicy Arugula Chicken Pita. But if you are craving more Middle-Eastern-inspired recipes, you must try the Baked Zhug Chicken with Spiced Brown Rice and Steamed Broccoli.
Ingredients and Instructions
You will first need to use about half a cup of my Spicy Zhug Feta Hummus to spread on a flatbread or wrap of your choice. There is just something about slapping some hummus on bread. Can somebody tell me why it's so good?!
Next, you'll need some air-fried chicken breast. Ensure it is also well seasoned since it competes with spicy hummus, fresh vegetables, and a lemony yogurt sauce. But don't worry, just follow the recipe below.
Finally, make the Greek yogurt sauce recipe with lemon, parsley, salt, and pepper. For that crisp, fresh taste, you will add some vine-riped tomatoes, baby spinach, crisp cucumber, and thinly sliced shallots. Oh, so fancy!
See the hummus chicken wrap recipe card for quantities.
Busy Folks - Become a better home cook with cooking tips to help you cook more efficiently on Cook's Notebook tab.
- Zhug Feta Hummus - You can replace this with store-bought hummus or zhug.
- Yogurt Sauce - If you are short on time, you can replace this sauce with store-bought tzatziki sauce.
- Shallots - You can try thinly sliced red onion or white onion. If using regular onion, I suggest soaking it first in cold water for 5 minutes.
- Whole-Wheat Flatbreads - Try naan bread, tortilla wraps, or a different flatbread.
Change Heat Level - Modify the hummus chicken wrap recipe's heat level to your liking and learn more about the Scoville Scale and Chili Pairings.
- Vegetarian - Try the crispy turmeric herb tofu recipe or even with falafels. Another way to skip the chicken is to add some shredded vegetables like cabbage, red bell pepper, and carrots tossed in balsamic vinegar, sugar, and olive oil.
- Go Greek - Also try adding kalamata olives and pickled banana peppers to the original recipe to give it a Greek salad feel.
- Air Fryer - This hummus chicken wrap recipe was developed using the Ninja Foodi 5-in-1 Indoor Grill. However, you can roast the chicken in the oven if you do not have an air fryer. Furthermore, you have two options with different results: a sheet pan with parchment paper or a sheet pan with a sheet pan rack.
- The parchment paper will produce chicken roasted in its juices with caramelization at the bottom.
- In contrast, the sheet pan rack will result in just roasting the chicken due to the hot air flowing around the vegetables.
- Now, the trick is not to overcrowd when using this method with whatever technique you choose, but if this happens, flip it in between cooking.
Kitchen Must Haves - Find other tools I use here.
- Refrigerator - To store in the fridge, you can place the salad, chicken, flatbread, hummus, and yogurt sauce in separate air-tight sealing containers. The meal will last up to two days.
- Freezer - I do not recommend freezing the fresh vegetables and yogurt sauce. However, follow the refrigeration process mentioned above. Then, you can place the chicken, hummus, and flatbread in a labeled, airtight container in the freezer.
Air Tight Food Containers - I use Glass Food Storage Containers with a plastic clipping lid to store food. For example, I always suggest glass storage containers since you can microwave them, and hold food without staining the container, and the glass keeps them at a more stable temperature which keeps the food fresher longer.
- Chopped Parsley Ready to Go - Keep a quarter cup of fresh chopped parsley stored in your refrigerator for quick use. Once you have chopped your parsley finely, place it in a small air-tight container with a paper towel on the bottom to soak up any condensation.
Frequently Asked Questions
Tzatziki is a Greek yogurt-based sauce usually made with herbs like dill, parsley, and mint with cucumber, lemon juice, and garlic.
Soaking the thinly sliced shallots or onion in water for about 5 minutes can help remove the sharp, pungent taste that raw onions and shallots may hold. Another trick is using fresh onions and shallots; the older or already cut ones usually have a distinct, strong unwanted flavor.
Lunch Recipe Ideas
Looking for other lunch recipes like this? Try these:
Middle Eastern Recipes
Looking for other Middle-Eastern-inspired recipes like this? Try these:
- Cook chicken to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C).
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food that previously touched raw meat to prevent foodborne illness from contaminated uncooked meats.
- Wash hands after touching raw meat to prevent cross-contamination.
- Don't leave food at room temperature for extended periods; this can breed bacteria.
- Never leave cooking food unattended to prevent burns and fires.
- Use oils with a high smoke point to avoid harmful compounds.
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning.
Have a Comment or Question?
If you have a question or comment about this recipe, please post it below. You will definitely get a quick response. It also helps our other readers to stay informed. Thanks!