Air-fried butternut squash, chickpeas, and baby Dutch yellow potatoes tossed in an aromatic ras el hanout spice blend. The butternut squash is pureed and filled with chicken breast chunks, mushrooms, baby spinach, and crushed Calabrian peppers for heat. Indulge in this creative spin on Butternut Squash Chickpeas Chicken Soup.
Cozy Meal Experience
Prepare for some wholesome goodness in this Air Fryer Butternut Squash Spiced Chickpeas Chicken Soup, a delightful fusion of flavors that promises a cozy meal experience.
Picture this: fork-tender butternut squash, succulent chicken, and crispy chickpeas, all harmoniously blended to create a creamy texture that is both comforting and satisfying.
Air Fryer Magic
The beauty of this easy recipe lies in the air fryer, turning chickpeas into irresistibly crispy bites, elevating the dish to new heights. Ideal for meal prep, this soup not only delights the taste buds on the first day but also matures in richness, making it an even more delectable choice the next day.
Unleash the power of simple ingredients, and let this culinary creation become your go-to for a great way to savor rich flavors effortlessly.
Try these other delicously convienent recipes using the air fryer:
- Curried Air Fryer Lamb Chops with Chickpea Cucumber Salad
- Air Fryer Roasted chicken Chickpeas Vegetable Curry
Looking for more soups? Check these out:
- Butternut Squash Chicken Chili
- Pumpkin Gnocchi Chicken Soup
- Easy Aleppo Pepper Spiced Dill Lentil Chicken Soup
Create a culinary masterpiece with this flavorful Air Fryer Butternut Squash, Chickpea, and Chicken Soup. Begin by roasting butternut squash in the air fryer, achieving a perfect blend of tenderness and crispiness.
Puree the squash with chicken broth for a velvety base. In a separate round of air frying, transform chickpeas and potatoes into golden perfection with a touch of Ras el Hanout for a Arabic North African twist.
Start the Soup
Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, brown diced chicken, infuse it with crushed Calabrian pepper paste and garlic, then meld it with crushed fire-roasted tomatoes and mushrooms. Introduce the luscious butternut squash puree, followed by a burst of spinach.
Combine the roasted chickpeas and potatoes, adjusting the soup's consistency with broth as needed. Finally, plate up this savory creation, garnishing it with reserved crispy chickpeas for a delightful finish. <<< The best part!
This easy-to-follow recipe promises a symphony of textures and flavors in each spoonful, making it a perfect choice for a heartwarming meal. Enjoy!
See the air fryer butternut squash recipe card for quantities.
Remember: Have everything Ready to Go!
For a quick and efficient cooking process.
See the recipe card for quantities.
Hey explorers! Let's embark on a flavorful journey through the step-by-step creation of an exquisite Air Fryer Butternut Squash Spiced Chickpeas Chicken Soup recipe that you will absolutely love. In this visual delight, each picture unfolds the magic of crisp chickpeas, velvety roasted butternut squash, and succulent chicken, promising a melody of textures and tastes in every spoonful.
Begin by peeling and then removing the seeds and pulp from the butternut squash. Then, slice them into thick pieces.
Slice each baby Dutch yellow potato into thick, small rings.
Pat dry the chickpeas using paper towels to allow the seasoning to adhere when tossed and to crisp up when cooked in the air fryer.
Toss the butternut squash pieces in avocado oil, salt, and pepper, then roast in the air fryer.
Evenly spread out the butternut squash pieces to roast evenly.
Then, toss the dried chickpeas and sliced potatoes in avocado oil, salt, and pepper while the butternut squash pieces are roasted in the air fryer.
Puree the roasted butternut squash with chicken broth.
The air-fried chickpeas and potatoes will be down when golden brown.
Then toss them in the ras el hanout spice blend with an even coat at the last couple of minutes.
For the soup, after sauteeing the chicken and cooking down the crushed Calabrian peppers and crushed fire-roasted tomatoes, add the sweet potato puree and sliced mushrooms to heat up.
Next, check the consistency of the soup and add the chickpea water for flavor and to adjust the soup's consistency.
Then add the spiced chickpeas and potatoes. Reserve some of the roasted chickpeas to garnish during plate-up.
Busy Folks - Become a better home cook with cooking tips to help you cook more efficiently on Cook's Notebook tab. In addition, some related detailed steps can be found there.
- Air Fryer - If you do not have an air fryer, try roasting the butternut squash, chickpeas, and potatoes in the oven on a sheet pan. Then roast in the oven at 425 for 20 to 30 minutes until the squash is fork tender. Remove the squash, then add the ras el hanout to the chickpeas and potatoes in the last few minutes.
- Avocado Oil - Use olive oil; however, it has a high smoke point, which is why it was chosen for this recipe. But try other mild flavored oils with high smoke points: canola, safflower, or rapeseed oil. Learn more.
- Whole Butternut Squash - For faster prep, use pre-cut butternut squash pieces.
- Baby Dutch Yellow Potatoes - Try using a quartered then sliced medium-sized peeled Yukon gold potato.
- Ras el Hanout - Use a spice blend with hints of cinnamon, cumin, and turmeric.
- Crushed Calabrian Peppers - Try using Harissa paste. This is a hot, seasoned crushed pepper paste that holds similar characteristics as the ras el hanout and Calabrian peppers combined.
- Garlic Paste -Use minced or finely chopped garlic. Avoid jarred garlic since this type of prepped garlic has a distinct flavor that may change the taste of the soup.
- Canned Sliced Mushrooms - Try using a variety of canned mushrooms; I suggest browning them along with the chicken.
- Baby Spinach - Use any tender, mild-flavored greens or thinly shredded kale.
Change Heat Level - Modify the recipe's heat level to your liking and learn more about the Scoville Scale and Chili Pairings.
- Vegan Butternut Squash Soup - Omit the chicken breast and substitute the chicken broth with vegetable broth.
- Bold Flavored Butternut Squash Soup - Try adding minced fresh ginger and chopped fresh herbs like thyme or fresh cilantro. For a creamy, rich flavor, take advantage of the creaminess of the coconut milk added when cooking down the Calabrian peppers and tomatoes at the beginning of the soup base.
- Butternut Squash Curry - Add a touch of curry powder with coconut milk. To keep it light, try using light coconut milk.
- Air Fryer - You will need an air fryer large enough to roast the vegetables in a single layer, or you can do it in two batches. I use the Ninja Foodi 5-in-1 Indoor Electric Grill since it has a 6-quart roasting pan attachment. However, for this recipe's ingredients, you can pour the vegetables and legumes directly into the basket or use an air fryer liner.
- Dutch Oven - This is used to make the soup. I developed this recipe using the Lodge 6-Quart Enamaled Cast Iron Dutch Oven. If you do not have a Dutch, try using a heavy bottom pot to prevent burning when searing and cooking thick liquids.
Kitchen Must Haves - Find other tools I use here.
- Refrigerator - To store in the fridge, you can place the soup in a shallow 2-inch container to cool down quickly. Then, store it in an airtight container. As a result, the meal will last up to four days.
- Freezer - Follow the refrigeration process mentioned above. Then, place it in the freezer in a labeled, airtight container or flat in a freezer-sealable bag.
Air Tight Food Containers - I use Glass Food Storage Containers with a plastic clipping lid to store food. For example, I always suggest glass storage containers since you can microwave them and hold food without staining the container, and the glass keeps them at a more stable temperature, which keeps the food fresher longer.
Whether you are using the air fryer or oven, for best results, spread the butternut squash, chickpeas, and potatoes into a single layer for even cooking time.
Frequently Asked Questions
To hydrate dried chickpeas, begin by rinsing them thoroughly under cold water to remove any debris. A great trick is to use the salad spinner's basket and base by adding the chickpeas and filling it with water. Then, simply drain by lifting the basket.
Then, soak the chickpeas in a large bowl of water, ensuring they are fully submerged, and let them sit for at least 8 hours or overnight before draining and rinsing again before use.
Absolutely! While this recipe specifically utilizes an air fryer for added crispiness, you can achieve fantastic results by roasting the butternut squash in a preheated oven at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for about 25-30 minutes or until fork-tender.
Store any leftover soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to four days. When reheating, use a stovetop on medium heat, stirring occasionally until it reaches your desired temperature. If the soup thickens, you can adjust the consistency by adding a bit of broth.
Ras el Hanout is a spice blend originating from North Africa, particularly Morocco. The name translates to "head of the shop" in Arabic, suggesting a mix of the best spices a seller has to offer.
The exact ingredients can vary, but it often includes a combination of aromatic and warm spices like cinnamon, cumin, coriander, ginger, cardamom, allspice, and cloves, along with other flavorful ingredients such as paprika, turmeric, and nutmeg. Making this spice blend an aromatic delight to warm up any home kitchen.
Ras el Hanout is known for its rich, complex flavor profile, and it's commonly used to season a variety of dishes, including tagines, couscous, and grilled meats. The blend adds depth and a unique North African flair to recipes.
Looking for other soup recipes like this? Try these:
Air Fryer Recipe
Looking for other air fryer recipes like this? Try these:
- Cook chicken to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C).
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food that previously touched raw meat to prevent foodborne illness from contaminated uncooked meats.
- Wash hands after touching raw meat to prevent cross-contamination.
- Don't leave food at room temperature for extended periods; this can breed bacteria.
- Never leave cooking food unattended to prevent burns and fires.
- Use oils with a high smoke point to avoid harmful compounds.
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning.
Have a Comment or Question?
If you have a question or comment about this recipe, please post it below. You will definitely get a quick response. It also helps our other readers to stay informed. Thanks!