Creamy double chocolate chip ice cream with chunky peanut butter and caramel swirl easily made using a blender, then frozen for less than half a day in a loaf pan for incredible no-churn ice cream.
A Homemade Cold Treat
Summer is ice cream season. However, I already went to the grocery store; why leave again for an expensive pint of ice cream? Plus, I don't have a traditional ice cream maker, and with the fancy ice cream machine I do have, you have to wait 24 hours for the content to freeze enough to spin in the machine!
Does it have to be this hard? No! Let's make creamy ice cream at home with some simple ingredients! The great thing about no-churn ice cream is you can develop any flavor you wish in just a few minutes.
Chocolate peanut butter lovers will enjoy this recipe with its swirls of peanut butter and chunky chocolate pieces; you can't say no. It takes 4 to 6 hours to freeze; you can practically make ice cream that same day.
Why candy bar ice cream? I am a huge fan of the Snickers candy bar, and I wanted something similar but with essential ingredients that I would have in my pantry. Hence, the combination of crunchy peanut butter, caramel sauce, and chocolates was a great idea for this homemade ice cream recipe.
For success, chill your heavy cream, then use your blender to whip it. Next, add the sweetened condensed milk, cocoa powder, vanilla extract, and sea salt to the whipped cream and blend again. Then, you will place the blended ice cream base into a loaf pan.
Pour the chunky peanut butter and caramel sauce straight down the middle of the ice cream base. Sprinkle on the chocolate chips to evenly cover the top, then gently fold the toppings with a spatula, creating swirls. Place plastic wrap on top, gently press against the ice cream, and freeze for 6 hours.
See the no-churn ice cream recipe card for quantities.
Use chilled heavy cream to whip in the blender.
Blend the cream until you get stiff peaks.
Fold in the sweetened condensed milk, cocoa powder, vanilla extract, and sea salt and blend again.
Pour into a loaf pan and add toppings.
Gently and briefly fold in the toppings enough to create swirls.
Gently place plastic wrap on top, removing any air bubbles, and freeze for 6 hours.
Do not thaw to serve; you can scoop immediately.
Busy Folks - Become a better home cook with cooking tips to help you cook more efficiently on Cook's Notebook tab.
- Heavy Cream - Try full-fat coconut cream! Check out The Best Substitutes for Whipping Cream by Very Well Fit.
- Sweetened Condensed Milk - I don't suggest replacing the condensed milk with alternative milk since the sugar content prevents the ice cream from freezing rock solid without the process of churning. Try Dairy-Free Sweetened Condensed Milk that's Just Like Eagle Brand by Go Dairy Free for non-dairy.
- Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips -You can try "non-dairy chocolate chips" labeled products.
- Caramel Sauce - Try using Coconut Caramel Sauce made by Hey Boo, which is also vegan.
- Candy Bars - Add actually candy bar pieces like Snickers or peanut butter cups; make sure to chop the pieces to the same size as a chocolate chip; this makes it easier to scoop the ice cream
- Fruit Jam or Preserves- Omit the cocoa powder to make vanilla ice cream, add the jam or preserves to the top, and gently swirl it in. For example, you can make strawberry swirl ice cream. If you want to add fresh strawberries, I suggest chopping them small for easier scooping.
- Triple Chocolate Chip - Top the chocolate ice cream base with chocolate sauce and chocolate chips, then gently fold them in.
- Instead of Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips - Try dark chocolate, peanut butter, or chocolate chunks.
- Salted Caramel - You can omit the cocoa powder and top the vanilla ice cream base with caramel sauce and sea salt flakes.
- Peanut Butter - Omit the cocoa powder and add the peanut butter to the condensed milk step in the recipe to make creamy peanut butter ice cream.
Got a Ninja CREAMi? Try the Papaya Run Coconut Nice CREAMi.
- Blender - I use Vitamix blenders since I relied on them in the professional kitchen. At home, I have the Vitamix Professional Series 750 Blender. I used a cheaper model in the professional kitchen, the Vitamix Explorian Blender.
- Don't have a blender? You can use a stand mixer with the whisk attachment. Just make sure to chill the bowl before whipping the cream. Or you can use a hand mixer with the whisk attachment and a chilled large mixing bowl.
- Rubber Spatula - It is used to scrape down the sides efficiently. I use the KitchenAid Classic Bamboo Spatula.
- Loaf Pan - It stores the ice cream, freezing it evenly. I use the OXO Good Grips Glass Loaf Pan With Lid to keep the ice cream for later servings. You can also use a metal loaf pan or a plastic freezer-safe container with similar dimensions.
- Plastic Wrap - This will prevent freezer burn and ice crystals.
Kitchen Must Haves - Find other tools I use here.
- Do not let the ice cream melt in the container. This will cause crystals in the ice cream when refrozen. Place a piece of plastic wrap on top to keep it from forming crystals. If it seems hard after being refrozen, you can leave it to thaw.
Air Tight Food Containers - I use Glass Food Storage Containers with a plastic clipping lid to store food. For example, I always suggest glass storage containers since you can microwave them and hold food without staining the container, and the glass keeps them at a more stable temperature, which keeps the food fresher longer.
For best results, ensure the heavy cream is chilled before whipping to prevent soft peaks; stiff peaks must withstand mixing in the rest of the ingredients. Plus, it creates air bubbles, making ice cream scooping much more effortless. Use natural peanut butter since it's easier to pour.
Frequently Asked Questions
Use coconut cream for the heavy cream, and make dairy-free, sweetened condensed milk using coconut cream, coconut sugar, and vegan caramel sauce instead of regular caramel sauce. Check out the Substitution section for more details.
This means that you whip the cream enough that when tested with a spoon that has been dipped into the cream, it will form pointy peaks that will not bend if held sideways.
A method that uses a wide spoon or spatula to mix ingredients in a whipped ingredient without deflating it. See the video for more details.
Looking for other dessert recipes like this? Try these:
Pair with Spicy Foods
Looking for spicy recipes? Try these:
Easy Peanut Chocolate Caramel Candy Bar No-Churn Ice Cream
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 3 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon sea salt grinded
- ¼ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup natural chunky peanut butter
- ⅓ cup caramel sauce
- Save time in the kitchen: Read the instructions thoroughly, then gather and prep all your ingredients before cooking! Learn Prepping Tips.
- Using a Blender: Blend heavy cream to a stiff peak while scraping down the sides every 10 to 20 seconds with a rubber spatula.
- Add and stir the condensed milk, cocoa powder, vanilla extract, and sea salt, and blend while scraping down the sides every 10 to 20 seconds.
- Setting In Loaf Pan: Pour the ice cream base into a loaf pan.
- Toppings: Pour the chocolate chips, peanut butter, and caramel sauce lengthwise across the ice cream base.
- Gently fold in the toppings with a spatula to create visibly thick swirls.
- Wrap: Cover with ice cream with plastic wrap gently pressed against the ice cream.
- Freeze: Place in the freezer to chill for at least 6 hours.
- Serve: When ready, serve immediately. Don't thaw like regular ice cream before scooping.
Have a Comment or Question?
If you have a question or comment about this recipe, please post it below. You will definitely get a quick response. It also helps our other readers to stay informed. Thanks!