The "one is never enough" easy-to-make air fryer s'mores chocolate chip cookies using the good old American tradition of S'mores with puffy marshmallows, creamy Hershey milk chocolate, and crispy graham crackers covered in a blanket of the favorite Toll House Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough.
8 Minutes to Be Exact!
Just minding my own business, what do I come upon on Instagram? Another viral recipe that I must try! Gooey Air Fryer S'mores in a cookie! It's such an easy dessert in less than 10 minutes!
These are now a household favorite; if you haven't made them yet, you are missing out! But wait a minute, ever wonder what "s'mores" means? Word around town is that it stands for "some more."
Where did this dessert originate? Supposedly, in the good old United States... or Canada. Now, this is a North American treat that I am proud of! Interestingly it said it is quite popular among the boy and girl scouts.
Unfortunately, as a Girl Scout, I don't recall eating this treat back in the day. But! We had campfire bananas stuffed with marshmallows and chocolate wrapped in aluminum foil over an open fire. Those were so good! Great memories!
Summer's Favorite Treat
However, I finally got to try America's summer's favorite dessert when I took my son camping. We bought the package to make them from the park's store. Man, was I disappointed; the graham crackers were stale! Such luck!
If you are still not familiar with S'mores, they are a North American camping treat of toasted marshmallows over an open campfire sandwiched between a piece of Hershey's chocolate bar and two graham cracker halves, which is the most traditional way since the 1920s. You'll get that melty chocolate, gooey caramelized marshmallow magically infused when you bite into that crispy, warm graham cracker.
Did You Know?!
True Fact! Did you know when the serving says "crackers," it refers not to the cracker sheet but to the piece you break off? So don't think you can eat eight cracker sheets, honey! It's one cracker sheet, which contains 8 "cracker" pieces. Another cool fact! A rectangular piece of a Hershey bar is called a pip!
Looking for more delicious treats? If you love chocolate, then you must try my Peanut Chocolate Caramel Candy Bar No-Churn Ice Cream. If you are looking for a more tropical vibe, then get ready to indulge in some Mango Cookies and Cream No-Churn Ice Cream.
What about air fryer recipes? Try the:
- Air Fryer Branzino with Lemon Potatoes and Vegetables (popular!)
- Curried Air Fryer Lamb Chops with Chickpea Cucumbrer Salad
- Chili Herb Crusted Rainbow Trout with Cannellini Beans, Spinach, Mushrooms, and Tomatoes
- Loaded Plantain Fries with Crispy Chicken Thigh and Spicy Slaw.
For this easy recipe, I went heavy on brand loyalty because they are brands that I know will work. And when it comes to baking goods you trust, if you know it will work, use it!
Divide a Nabisco Honey Maid graham cracker sheet into two graham cracker squares and top with two pips of Hershey Milk Chocolate Candy Bar on each. Then place a Jet-Puffed Regular Everyday Marshmallow (large) on top and then take your Nestle Toll House Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough, shape it into a flat disk, and mold it around the marshmallow and chocolate, ensuring to seal it onto the cracker.
Cookie Dough Portion
For the chocolate cookie dough, you might use portioned pieces that come from the flat pack, or I did it by using a medium cookie scoop to form balls of cookie dough. This will help keep it standing while baking. Next, it's placed in the preheated air fryer at 325 degrees Fahrenheit for 8 minutes.
Air Fryer Adaptations
You might be able to just place it in the air fryer basket, or you will need to use an air fryer liner or parchment paper. When they are done, you will see nice golden brown cookies. Let the cookie sit after baking for at least 5 minutes.
I know! That is a long time in dessert years, but trust me, it is worth the wait. This will prevent the whole cookie from crumbling apart so that you can enjoy this masterpiece!
See the air fryer s'mores chocolate chip cookies recipe card for quantities.
Break the graham cracker sheets into two.
Top it with two Hershey's milk chocolate pips.
Place the large marshmallow on top.
Scoop your dough or use at least two to three tablespoons of portioned cookie dough. I used a medium cookie scoop.
If using the scooper, have a little bit of extra dough.
Round the dough, then flatten it into a thick disk.
Mold the cookie dough around the marshmallow and chocolate bar and seal it at the bottom to prevent it from moving around.
Bake in the air fryer at 325 degrees Fahrenheit for 8 minutes.
Busy Folks - Become a better home cook with cooking tips to help you cook more efficiently on Cook's Notebook tab.
- Air Fryer - If you don't have an air fryer, that is ok. Try making these bad boys in the oven. Temperatures may vary due to calibration errors, but you will bake them in the oven at the same time as the cookie dough package's instructions for about 11 to 13 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Large Marshmallows - I've seen some recipes use mini marshmallows. So instead of placing it on top of the chocolate bar, you will place it on top of the cookie dough instead, pressed in.
- Dark Chocolate - replace the milk chocolate bar with a more cocoa-concentrated chocolate bar for a rich, sweet, and bitter taste.
- Double Chocolate Chip - Try using chocolate chocolate chip cookie dough!
- Chocolate Graham Crackers - For some reason, I am having a hard time finding these by Honey Maid. But if you do get your hands on these, this is a must-try! Replace the honey grahams with these.
- Peanut Butter Cups - You have several ways to do this. Replace the chocolate candy bar by pushing one of these into the center of the chocolate cookie dough or using peanut butter cookie dough.
- Cookies and Cream - Replace the Hershey's Milk Chocolate Candy Bar with Hershey's Cookies and Creme Candy Bar, which is white chocolate with crunchy chocolate cookie pieces.
- Air Fryer - This air fryer s'mores chocolate chip cookies recipe was developed using the Ninja Foodi 5-in-1 Indoor Grill. You can try the oven if you do not have an air fryer. You have two options with different results: a baking sheet with parchment paper or a sheet pan with parchment paper and a wire rack. The parchment paper will produce caramelization at the bottom. In contrast, the sheet pan rack will result in just baking around the cookie due to the hot air flowing around it. Now, the trick is not to overcrowd in whatever method you choose. If you want the best air fryer, check out the Instant Vortex Plus Air Fryer Oven.
- Cookie Scoop - To get the perfect portion, I used the Cookie Scoop by Tuilful, and when I got used to the scoop size, I also interchangeably used my KitchenAid No Mess Ice Cream Scoop. But you can just by the portioned cookie dough as well.
Kitchen Must Haves - Find other tools I use here.
- Refrigerator - To store, place the air fryer s'mores chocolate chip cookies in an airtight container shallow container. Preferably laid out so that the marshmallow doesn't stick together, causing a gooey mess. As a result, the cookies will last up to two days.
- Freezer - Place it in the freezer in a labeled, airtight sealing bag.
Air Tight Food Containers - I use Glass Food Storage Containers with a plastic clipping lid to store food. For example, I always suggest glass storage containers since you can microwave them and hold food without staining the container, and the glass keeps them at a more stable temperature, which keeps the food fresher longer.
- Ready Steady - Make sure you seal the cookie dough to the graham cracker; fix it before baking if you see it moving or tilting to one side. If you don't, they will fall over in the air fryer, creating a delicious mess!
- Air Fryer Size - Please be aware that air fryer size may vary. Make decisions based on the size of your air fryer. Make sure to have at least two to three inches between each cookie, or bake in two to three batches.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes! You can, and I highly suggest it if you are baking cookies in the air fryer basket. However, if you have an air fryer roasting pan like my Ninja AG301 Foodi 5-in-1 Indoor Grill, you can just place it right on the non-stick roasting pan, which cleans easily with a wipe.
Yes, you can, but I suggest you use parchment paper; the food has less chance of sticking to it, and you won't have to use a non-stick oil spray.
After, you will place it with your food. The easiest way is to place the food on the parchment paper while the air fryer preheats, then place the whole thing into the air fryer's basket.
Looking for other sweet recipes like this? Try these:
Air Fryer Recipes
Looking for other air fryer recipes like this? Try these:
- Cook chicken to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C).
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food that previously touched raw meat to prevent foodborne illness from contaminated uncooked meats.
- Wash hands after touching raw meat to prevent cross-contamination.
- Don't leave food at room temperature for extended periods; this can breed bacteria.
- Never leave cooking food unattended to prevent burns and fires.
- Use oils with a high smoke point to avoid harmful compounds.
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning.
Have a Comment or Question?
If you have a question or comment about this air fryer s'mores cookies recipe, please post it below. You will definitely get a quick response. It also helps our other readers to stay informed. Thanks!