Savory hoisin sauce-covered juicy mushrooms accompanied by crisp greens and shredded vegetables tossed in a citrus, sweet, and spicy peanut dressing with chewy mung bean vermicelli noodles combined to make a delightful noodle bowl meal filled with a mixture of textures and flavor in every bite.
Quick Vegetarian Noodle Bowl Recipe
Are you craving an incredibly delicious spicy noodle bowl dish for dinner? Not only is this packed with tender mushrooms, crisp rainbow veggies, and a mouthwatering spicy peanut dressing, but this dish also offers a stunning combination of flavors and textures that will satisfy any craving.
This quick and easy vegetarian noodle bowl recipe is packed with flavor and texture. It is the perfect combination of sweet, spicy, and savory flavors and will surely be a hit with veggie lovers. In addition, this noodle bowl is an excellent choice for anyone who wants to transform their dinner routine.
Meal Prep Noodles
Furthermore, if you are a busy professional who struggles with meal prep, this is the perfect solution to your dinner woes. For instance, the spicy peanut dressing adds a super kick of flavor that's sure to please any adventurous food fan. Trust me; once you try it, you'll be obsessed.
If you love this recipe, check out the Bang Bang Crispy Tofu with Egg-Fried Brown Rice. Also, try the Shrimp Shishito Eggplant Stir-Fry and Healthy Poached Egg Avocado Rainbow Tuna Salad for meals packed with vivid vegetables.
Check out the popular vegetarian Curried Chickpeas and Mushrooms with Spiced Brown Basmati Rice and Piquant Chorizo Beans and Eggs Skillet.
South East Asian-Inspired
Speaking of taste, let's talk about how delicious this noodle bowl sauce really is! For example, the combination of sweet, salty, spicy, and nutty flavors creates an explosion of flavor in your mouth. As a result, it pairs perfectly with everything from stir-fried and grilled dishes to even making a great dipping sauce for spring rolls or veggies.
We are talking about Thai Peanut Sauce, aka Satay Sauce. But did you know that this roasted peanut sauce originated from Indonesian Peanut Sauce? For example, it is popular in various dishes, from a dipping sauce to dressing on vegetables to being served with skewered grilled meats.
In the Philippines, it's also used as a dipping sauce. Meanwhile, in Singapore, it's served with rice vermicelli noodles. In addition, depending on where it is being made, It usually consists of chili peppers, soy sauce, shallot and garlic, and even ginger, citrus juice, and lemongrass.
For the hoisin mushrooms, you are going to saute them in avocado oil. Why avocado oil? It’s just a neutral-tasting healthy oil. I used a mixture of shitake and cremini mushrooms. Secondly, you'll season them with salt and pepper. Then add garlic, hoisin sauce, and vegetable broth to round out the flavors and stew the delicious and savory mushrooms in their juices.
This noodle bowl recipe uses cellophane vermicelli noodles, also known as glass noodles, not to be confused with rice vermicelli noodles. Glass noodles are transparent when cooked compared to rice noodles, which turn white and opaque. In addition, these noodles have an amazing chewy and yummy texture. They also can be ready in minutes, and this is what completes the dish. You will boil them in water for about 5 minutes, then strain and rinse them with cold water to stop the cooking process.
For the Spicy Peanut Dressing
To begin with, this mouthwatering creamy peanut sauce consists of sweet Thai chili sauce, chunky peanut butter, and juiced and zested lime. This is the crucial ingredient for the noodle bowl dish since it brings the whole meal together. Then, you will adjust the thickness of the sauce with water and enhance it with kosher salt.
You are going to combine mixed greens and tri-color cabbage slaw mix. However, you can also use cabbage slaw with red and green cabbage and carrots. I was so excited to find a mix of kale and broccoli stems. So good! Indeed, they are getting super creative with these rainbow slaw mixes. On the other hand, If it does not have shredded carrots, simply shred a whole carrot. Then add the shredded cucumbers and red bell pepper for even more pop with a refreshing twist. And finally, add your cilantro and mint to bring it up a notch.
See the mushroom noodle bowl recipe card for quantities.
Sliced Shitake Mushrooms with Stems Removed. Learn more about prepping mushrooms.
Ensure you wash the greens; learn more about salad spinners.
Then add shredded cabbage and kale.
You can use a mandoline to shred the carrots. Learn more about the Japanese Mandoline.
You can also use it for cucumbers. However, if you don't have a mandoline, use a box grater or cut into matchsticks/julienne with your knife.
Combine all the ingredients for the base of the salad. You can chill it in the fridge until ready for the noodle bowl.
You can add the fresh cilantro leaves with the baby stems to the salad instead of just the leaves. Check out other prepping herbs tips.
Busy Folks - Become a better home cook with cooking tips to help you cook more efficiently on Cook's Notebook tab. Some related detailed steps can be found there.
- Shitake and Cremini Mushroom - Try this noodle bowl dish with your favorite mix of mushrooms. In addition, ensure to slice them thin or separate small mushrooms from their clusters.
- Noodles - Use rice vermicelli noodles or pad Thai noodles (flat and wide rice noodles). Then, follow the instructions on the package for cooking. But you can make zucchini noodles for a full veggie experience.
- Peanut Butter - For nut allergies, try sunflower butter.
Change Heat Level - Modify the recipe's heat level to your liking and learn more about the Scoville Scale and Chili Pairings.
- Grilled Chicken Salad - Add grilled sliced chicken and serve with or without the noodles. Moreover, if you serve without the noodles, just double the salad.
- Extra Crunch - Use crispy green beans and fried onions; I tried it the other day! So delicious!
- Large Sauce Pan - To boil the Vermicelli noodles.
- Sieve Strainer - Since the vermicelli noodles are thin, you must use something with smaller holes than a colander.
- Mixing Bowls - It's to mix the peanut dressing and the other ingredients for the salad.
- Large Saute Pan - To cook the hoisin mushrooms.
Kitchen Must Haves - Find other tools I use here.
- Refrigerator - To store in the fridge, place the noodles, salad mix, and dressing in separate air-tight sealing containers. Place the mushrooms in a 2-inch shallow pan to cool down quickly, then store them in an air-tight sealing container. The food will last for up to three days.
- Freezer - Follow the refrigeration process mentioned above. However, I do not recommend freezing the salad mix. Then, mix the vermicelli noodles with a splash of neutral-tasting oil (like avocado oil), close again, and place in the freezer. Finally, for the mushrooms and dressing, you can place them in the freezer in a labeled, airtight container.
- Building your Rice Noodle Bowl - The saucy savory mushrooms, chewy long vermicelli noodles, peppery peanut sauce, and crisp rainbow veggie salad create instant magic in an easy and ready bowl in less than 30 minutes! To begin with, plate this dish by combining the peanut dressing with the salad. Then, add the colorful salad to one-half side of the bowl with the noodles on the other half. In the center, scoop on the mushrooms. Finally, garnish with scallions and drizzle on some siracha sauce for more heat. I highly recommend this as the final touch to create a fantastic meal; let your taste buds enjoy the sweet and spicy flavor combo.
- Add Zest to your Dressings - This extra step is well worth it. For example, the oils in the skin of the citrus fruit bring a pleasing aromatic character to the sauce that matches the citrus kick, making it complete. Furthermore, eating shouldn't be boring; stay in the present moment by noticing the variety of robust flavors.
- Use Kosher Salt - You want to fill the salt you add to your food. Compared to table salt, kosher salt has no prominent lingering saltiness.
- Adding Oil to A Hot Pan vs. A Cold Pan - This helps to prevent food from sticking to the pan; adding oil to a hot surface creates a barrier when it heats up. This is compared to a cold pan, which cools down the hot oil, and when the oil heats, no barrier is created.
- Use a Large Pan to Saute Mushrooms - This ensures the pan stays hot when you add your mushrooms; plus, they will have space to spread out evenly and cook, which helps with browning and prevents steaming.
- Use a Large Pot for Noodles - This allows the water to stay hot, maintaining the optimum temperature and allowing the noodles to cook evenly.
Frequently Asked Questions
Use a Japanese mandoline. They are plastic with sharp stainless carbon steel blades and teeth. I’ve owned mine for more than 20 years. It is super convenient when storing and easy to clean. Learn more on how to use a Japanese mandoline.
Cabbage slaw is a pre-packaged, prepped mixture of shredded vegetables to make coleslaw in the US, usually found at a local market. For example, it consists of shredded red or green cabbage and carrots.
Avocado oil tends to be more subtle than extra virgin olive oil. I wanted a neutral-tasting oil so the taste doesn't impact the dish's flavor. However, you can use canola or any neutral-tasting oil as a substitute.
Looking for other Asian-inspired recipes like this? Try these:
Looking for other vegetarian recipes like this? Try these:
Don’t Forget to Like, Subscribe and Share!
- Cook chicken to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C).
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food that previously touched raw meat to prevent foodborne illness from contaminated uncooked meats.
- Wash hands after touching raw meat to prevent cross-contamination.
- Don't leave food at room temperature for extended periods; this can breed bacteria.
- Never leave cooking food unattended to prevent burns and fires.
- Use oils with a high smoke point to avoid harmful compounds.
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning.
Have a Comment or Question?
If you have a question or comment about this mushroom noodle bowl recipe, please post it below. You will definitely get a quick response. It also helps our other readers to stay informed. Thanks!